Saturday, June 10, 2006

Words: inveigle

inveigle: transitive verb

1 : to win over by wiles : ENTICE
2 : to acquire by ingenuity or flattery

Etymology: Anglo-French enveegler, alteration of Middle French aveugler to blind, hoodwink, from Old French avogler, from avogle blind, from Medieval Latin ab oculis, literally, lacking eyes


Inveigle showed up in my son's spelling list the other day. The words in his spelling list are usually words that I recognize and know how to pronounce. This one took me by surprise. Does anyone actually use this word anymore?

I like it, though.

2 comments:

Beverly said...

well...I certainly haven't used it lately...How old is your son?

reJoyce said...

Sorry for the slow response, Beverly. This particular son is 18. I've got a younger one who is 16. How old is Sam?