Wednesday, March 14, 2007

On the Internet: Insights from C. S. Lewis' Life

What we see in Lewis
is the steady place of his parish church;
the quiet regularity of his Bible-reading and prayers;
the natural large place for his main work of study and writing;
the large blocks of time for leisurely conversations with special friends;
and the importance of letter writing,
especially with those who sought his help
in the matter of Christian pilgrimage

For all of his immense output of literary work,
his life is marked by a spacious,
un-frantic rhythm
of
worship,
work,
conversation,
availability,
and intimacy.


Read the rest of the article:
Dick Staub: Staublog - CS Lewis: On the unfrantic life

5 comments:

Beverly said...

I want to go to Europe to see where CS Lewis hung out. ..someday

reJoyce said...

In Oxford they have a C. S. Lewis walking tour you can do. We did not do it but did see the pub the Inklings hung out in and visited C. S. Lewis' grave. I hope you get the chance to go.

Beverly said...

really..wow..the Inklings...isn't that where he and Tolkien use to hang out?

reJoyce said...

Close. The pub is called the Eagle and Child and they called their group the Inklings. (I need to work on my sentence constructions. That sentence about the Inklings was not very clear.)

Unknown said...

I really like the quotation on the unfrantic life. It's one of Lewis' I had not seen. I did read his "Letters to an American Lady" a long time ago and noticed how faithful he was to respond, even with a few words and after a long time lapse.
The first time I went to England and stayed in Wantage, I reread "Surprised by Joy" which was on the bookshelf where I was sleeping. Then when my friend Britzaida accompanied me to Oxford for a day, we found Lewis's college, Magdalen, and walked around there.