Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Michigan in the Fall



I've been wanting to get out with my camera and get some photos of the leaves as they change this year. I spent a few minutes today in my neighborhood hoping to catch some of the vibrant colors before they all fall to the ground. Turned out that the best photo I got was of some leaves that had already fallen. Guess I could have waited!

One thing that has surprised me is that leaf watchers can get information about where to find the best displays of changing leaves online. They've got maps of driving routes for viewing the changing leaves. There is even a phone number to call for a recording of Michigan's current color conditions (1-800-MI-4-FALL). We've always just enjoyed the leaves as we encountered them, yet I can see why someone might want to make a concerted effort to find them.

Years ago when we were living in Connecticut, one October day I flew through Detroit on my way to California. I remember looking out the window as we descended into Detroit and being amazed at how gorgeous the trees were from the air. Looking at the changing leaves makes me feel thankful. I just need to remember to hold on to that thankfulness when it comes time to rake them all up!

1 comment:

Beverly said...

Hey..I went to Michigan in the fall and actually backpacked in the Porcupine Wilderness in the U.P...so beautiful..then my friend surprised me with a room reserved at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island (sp)..some good times..I think she lived in Rochester?..really pretty!