Thursday, July 20, 2006

Travel: On Finding an Internet Connection

Here's what I've noticed about airports and internet connections: large airports make you pay for an internet connection, small airports do not. Grand Rapids has a free internet connection. So does Allentown, PA. I'm in Cleveland, waiting for a connecting flight and had to pay to connect to the internet. Granted, here it was only $3.95 for two hours, which is not too bad comparatively. (Cleveland isn't as big as say Dallas or LAX, so I guess they charge accordingly.) It seems to defy logic for small airports to offer free wireless while the larger ones charge. Same sort of deal seems to apply to hotels, too. The more expensive the hotel, the less likely they are to have free internet.

So, here's the current theory we have floating around our house, courtesy of my husband. Large airports and fancy hotels added internet access years ago when it was very expensive to do so. So, they have to charge to recoup their investment. Small hotels and airports can hire a teenager to set them up with wireless and it costs them relatively little to do so. So, they can offer it free as a perk because they did not have the initial outlay that those that got into the technology early had to put out.

So, I'm glad I tend to stay in cheaper hotels. Now, if it was just as easy to avoid big airports, I'd be set.

No comments: