Thursday, July 20, 2006

Travel: On Airline Seating

Allentown to Cleveland. Seat 6B. That was me. Well, me and a good part of the fellow in 6C. Trying to get comfortable in an airline seat is hard enough without having to give up part of your seat to someone who cannot fit into their own. There was no fighting over who would get the armrest, or even any amiable sharing of it. His waistline was resting comfortably there. Well, probably not very comfortably. I think he was wedged as close to the window as he could get but that did not keep him from spilling over into my seat. I have a crick in my neck from leaning over to the side so as to avoid being plastered up against him. Good thing it was a short flight.

I'm not unsympathetic to the plight of heavy people and airline seats. The size of the seats is ridiculous even for slim people. But, you get so little for your money in an economy seat - it seems like there should be some sort of compensation for people who end up having their seat hijacked by the person in the seat next to them.

No comments: