Monday, May 15, 2006

Hallmark Holidays

Mother's day is one of the most commercially successful US holidays. And, judging by my acquaintance, I'm not surprised. What a fuss! I dread going to church on Mother's Day. First one has to sit through the sermon on mothers. That "God Made Mothers" poem is enough to send me screaming out of the building. And what about the women there who want to be mothers but aren't? Or people whose mothers treated them like dirt? Then I have to figure out how to respond to folks who want to know what we're doing for Mother's Day. Do I tell them that we don't celebrate it, or just say something like "I plan to have a nap" and let them think that's a special Mother's Day treat for me? It's easy enough to make a pithy comment to a nodding acquaintance, but that doesn't work on folk who want more details. But, if I tell them all the reasons I don't go in for celebrating Mother's Day, they think it means I think less of them for celebrating it. I don't care if other people celebrate it, I just don't want to.

My theory is that you let Mom know you love her year around, always being a help. Then you don't have to feel like you need to be sure she gets the message on Mother's Day. I'll wager most Moms would prefer that to the once a year celebration.

But, maybe you're not buying it, and you're feeling sorry for my mother about now? Where do you think I learned to think this way about Hallmark Holidays? I am my mother's daughter!

Hallmark Holidays

4 comments:

Beverly said...

I thought I commented here the other day but I must have clicked out...Father's day is what killed me...lots of father's day sundays in the church bathroom crying..
I totally agree with you!!!

reJoyce said...

I'm glad to hear someone agrees. I was a little afraid I might get some hate mail! :-)

Sorry about the Father's Day "church bathroom" crying. I hope it helps a little to know that there are often people sitting in there listening and cringing for those who find sermons like that more than just an annoyance but an actual source of pain.

reJoyce said...

Okay. A bit of a rephrase is in order, I think.

"I hope it helps a little to know that that are often people sitting in the auditorium listening and cringing...."

I shouldn't stay up that late!

reJoyce said...

and....

here's an article from RLP on Mother's Day at churches:

Sorrow and Joy