Monday, March 4, 2013

On Amanda Palmer and TED talks

So here's the thing: I'm not a huge Amanda Palmer fan. Besides not being overly fond of her music, her clothes and language make me uncomfortable and frankly I feel like her eyebrows and armpits are in direct contradiction of each other. (Oddly, the pits don't bother me, but the eyebrows do.) I don't say that because I think that she needs to change herself but so that you'll know I'm not a crazed fangirl. I'd never even heard of her until she and Neil Gaiman got married.

I watched her TED talk the other day and was blown away by people saying negative things about her in the comments. It boggles my mind. Her story of the interaction of art (between an artist and those consuming the art) is simply beautiful and how someone could ignore that to fuss that they don't like some aspect of how she recruits musicians for her gigs just makes me sad.

Watch it. Ignore any feelings you may have about her or her actions and just listen to what she says. It's really quite beautiful.


No comments: