Tuesday, October 5, 2004

At the Movies

Sunday evening Steve and I went to see the movie Wimbledon in one theatre while the kids saw Hero in another (both at the UGC Cinema in Slough).

In hindsight I am glad the kids did not go to see Wimbledon, mostly because there was an awful lot of shagging going on (in the movie, not in the theatre itself). I don't think they were overly impressed with Hero - it wasn't exactly as they thought it had been advertised. Judging from the looks on the faces of the other people who where exiting the theatre, I'd say they might agree.

As to Wimbledon though: it was a cute movie with everything turning out good at the end (which is how I like them). As I watched Peter begin to do better at his game with the encouragement of Lizzie I marveled at how much affect for good we can have on other people. Just by believing in him, she helped him to excel beyond anything he ever hoped to achieve. Her ability to not give up in the face of defeat but to go on to do better the next time around was also admirable.

So, not only a cute movie that ended well, but also a good object lesson (if you omit all the messing around, anyway).

No comments: