Thursday, September 14, 2006

Words: ganosis

We were playing Balderdash the other day and the word ganoisis came up. I have to admit that I did not believe it was a real word. I'm still not sure that I do. Here's the definition:

ganosis n. - reducing shine of marble, especially on naked parts of statue.

It's not in any of my dictionaries, and Dictionary.com doesn't have an entry for it. Merriam Webster acts like they have one, but it's in the pay section, so I can't confirm that they do. All the entries I've seen for it look exactly like the Balderdash card. I'd like to see some etymology and find it someplace besides Luciferous Logolepsy before I'm convinced that it is a word.

I suppose that is one of the nice things about just playing this game with a dictionary. At least you know the word really is an actual word and can prove it to disbelieving participants!

3 comments:

Scott said...

I LOVE Balderdash. I love it when people choose my made up definitions.

Kathy said...

Hey Joyce!
Miss seeing you over on my wee blog. Hope you can stop in again sometime!

btw: I love Balderdash as well. Anything having to do with words is a fun game to me. :)

Kathy said...

Returning the blessing with grateful thanks for yours, Joyce!

2 Thessalonians 3:5 (New Living Translation)

5May the Lord bring you into an ever deeper understanding of the love of God and the endurance that comes from Christ.

In the Light of His love, grace and mercy
Kathy