Monday, September 18, 2006

Groan: Sappy Poems

The kids and I are going to be volunteering again this year with a local kindergarten class. The start up meeting was last week, after which we were given a copy of this poem:

Being a Vounteer
It's not for money, It's not for fame,
It's not for any personal gain.
It's just for love of fellow man,
It's just to lend a helping hand.
It's just to give a tithe of self,
That's something you can't buy with wealth.
It's not for medals won with pride,
It's for that feeling deep inside.
It's that reward down in your heart,
It's that feeling that you've been a part
Of helping others far and near
That makes you be a volunteer!

---(Author Unknown)

I'm afraid I just can not get myself to like poems like this. Not only does it rub me wrong, it contradicts itself -- after saying it's not for personal gain, it then says that it is (I'm pretty sure doing something for a feeling deep inside is personal gain; just not the monetary type).

If I were to write a poem about volunteering (don't panic, I won't) it would say something along the lines of:
1) it's our responsibility to try to help others
2) my kids need to learn to do it
3) getting up early enough to go stinks
4) little kids wear me out (I need to learn from Bev who seems to have mountains of patience)
5) getting along with the other volunteers can be difficult at times
6) a lot of times it would be easier just to not do it

No comments: