Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Nike+ 1/2 Marathon Coaching: Week One, Day Two

In general, it has not been my habit to run two days in a row, so this was a bit strange. My original plan had been to run in the neighborhood this morning, but the thought of trying to run fast on all the hills here had me heading to the relatively flat Greenway again. The first mile went well, but the whole two miles of fartlek's was a bit of a disaster. First, trying to keep track of the time with just the timer on my phone was problematic. The lap timer was too small for me to see while running, which lead to slowing down and even stopping to be able to see how much time had passed. Plus I had to carry the phone in my hand. Then there was just the running faster then slower that I had a very difficult time with -- I've noticed that when I try to run faster, I get very tense which tires me out quicker. I pretty much had to run faster then walk to recover. It's going to take some practice to figure out how to run at a faster pace without getting so tense.

In terms of running gear, I wore Nike running shorts and top and my zero drop Altra Intuition 1.5 shoes with a pair of Injinji toe socks. I've gained a bit of weight recently and the shorts were not very cooperative. They wanted to wedge up between my legs. Not cool. The rest of the outfit was comfortable for running - though it sure is tough to get a running top off when you're hot and sweaty.

For fuel, water and homemade running gel in my recently acquired running vest.

Still haven't researched heart rate training.

Going to see if there is an app to make timing intervals easier.

No comments: