Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Reusable Grocery Bags


I recently saw a gal with a t-shirt on that said, using a very cute play on words, Plastic Bags Blow. As well as giving me a good laugh, it gave me a topic for a blog post.

As I've mentioned before, I enjoy collecting bags. Using them to carry my grocery shopping home is one of the main uses they get. They are kept in the van, ready to go in whenever I go shopping. The baggers are always willing to load the groceries into my bags (even though I'm sure it's not quite as easy as using the plastic ones). Then my groceries are packed in bags that will not tear and I do not end up with piles of plastic bags that I can not use.

If you think you might like to try using your own reusable bags, let me encourage you to do so. It's a small thing to do that can help cut down on the trash in landfills or blowing around on the side of the road. Many grocery stores offer cloth bags for sale, especially health food stores. If you can't find them locally, you can purchase them online from reusablebags.com.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe it's because of the early morning hour, but I don't "get" the play on words.

reJoyce said...

Well, first there's the blow that means, to use polite wording, aren't good. Then there is the blow that refers to them flying around in the wind and getting stuck in trees and power lines.

reJoyce said...

Here are some more plastic bag facts:

* Worldwide, an estimated 4 billion plastic bags end up as litter each year. Tied end to end that’s enough to circle the earth 63 times.
* The plastic bags that have inundated our planet are derived from a non-renewable resource; they never break down completely; they strangle wildlife and they clog single stream recycling machinery.
* According to the American Forest and Paper Association, in 1999 the U.S. alone used 10 billion paper grocery bags, requiring 14 million trees to be cut down (and as we know, deforestation is a major contributor to global warming).
* Paper bags cannot be made from recycled products, they’re not strong enough. The paper bag manufacturing process adds deadly toxins to the environment. In short, paper bags are no more environmentally friendly than plastic.

reJoyce said...

And, a couple more resources for bags:

b. happy bags

Blue Lotus

Cafe Press