Friday, December 24, 2004

Traveling in my head

This topic has been traveling around in my mind since the subject was announced. At first I thought I might tell of my love for travel: how it has been a part of my life since I was a child. Then I thought perhaps I could talk about how there are two types of people: those who travel and those who do not. Or perhaps the myriad of ways that travel changes a person for good? Or on a different bent: the many paths we travel during life? I had a hard time with the previous topic because I couldn't think of what to write. This time there is too much to write!!

So, in the interest of keeping this moderately short, here is a list of some things I've learned from a lifetime of travel and living abroad. (Living abroad for me means living outside of my native USA.)

  • The splendor of God's world is breathtaking - and never dull. From sparkling tropical beaches to snow covered alps, each has it's own unique beauty (and is worth seeing in person.)

  • Never assume anything about a land foreign to you. Thinking a place will be basically the same with different sights will give you quite a jolt.

  • Don't criticize the differences or call them wrong because they are different. (For example: "they drive on the wrong side of the road in the UK" or "this hamburger doesn't taste right".) When you come right down to it there are really just some very basic things that are right and wrong and the rest of it is just what you are used to.

  • People in the US are spoiled by the sheer amount of stuff available. Much of the world lives without the stuff we seem to think is necessary.

  • Other countries are much more interested with what is going on in the US (especially politically). We affect them much more than they affect us. Many foreigners despise the US while being jealous of us at the same time.

  • Motion sickness is horrendous! Bring your own Dramamine. It isn't available everywhere.

  • Pack light. Then take out half the stuff. But bring at least two pairs of shoes. Being able to switch out can be salvation to your soles.

  • Attend local church services. It is good for you and for the members there as well. Plus, you learn interesting local information not available from tour guides, books, etc.

  • Americans are often loud and demanding compared to others. Making an effort not to behave that way will leave those I come in contact with a better impression of my homeland.

  • Don't expect everyone to speak English. A pocket two-language dictionary can save the day.

Travel can be uncomfortable. Not only for the "cramped into a dinky seat" body, but also for the "challenged in my thinking" mind. Travel will take you outside your comfort zone and teach you things about yourself and the world around you. It will make you a better citizen of the world. The journey can be rough at times, with ups and downs. But in my mind the ups far outweigh the downs and I feel as if it has done me a world of good.

1 comment:

John said...

Terrific post. You're one of my Blogger Idol picks this week.